Posted By Meredith Crawford
Get to know your TutaPoint tutors with Six Questions With…a new series of tutor profiles.
1) When did you first become involved with TutaPoint?
I did a lot of research of all the tutoring websites about a year ago and found that very few were created in a way that truly supports students. TutaPoint is by far one of the best sites I have been involved with, and after a short period of time I made it one of the only sites I tutored through.
2) What was one thing you struggled with when you were a student? Does this give you a better perspective when it comes to helping the students you tutor?
I struggled as a student until I entered college. Although I had very high grades in math and science, I always struggled in history and English. When I was struggling as a student I knew what I needed from my teachers, but they were usually too overwhelmed to be able to give me the additional support. I was lucky to have great tutors that filled in the gaps for me and by the time I got to graduate school, I was very successful in all subjects without additional support. I think the gratitude I have for the help I received from my tutors comes through in my sessions.
3) What was your favorite and least favorite subject in school?
My favorite subjects were chemistry and algebra. My least favorite subject was English.
4) What is your tutoring philosophy?
In my sessions I am always lighthearted and fun. I always ask students to mail me what they want to work on before the session and I prepare a lesson in advance. This way no time is wasted on figuring out what needs to be accomplished and makes the learning relaxed, organized, and easy.
5) What do you do for work outside of TutaPoint?
I’m an online high school science teacher and do online tutoring in my spare time.
6) What are your hobbies or passions?
I love to travel, swim, dance, and cook for friends.